Lau King Howe Hospital Memorial Museum, Sibu, Sarawak, Malaysia.





HOME  |   ABOUT US  |   EXHIBITION |  ACTIVITIES |  LINKS |  VISIT US |  CONTACT US         



Nursing Curriculum Evolution

Maternal and Child Health Services

Old Nurses Uniform

Surgical Services

Old Dental Equipment

Intensive Care Services

Obstetric Services


Evolution of the Curriculum for School of Nursing in Lau King Howe Hospital

1959 to 1970: Structured Training Programme Nurse Education was more structured since 1959. In 1959 a qualified Nurse Tutor, Mrs. Doreen Street, from England was recruited to head the Nursing School in Kuching. The training programme took 3 years and 4 months to complete. It consisted of structured theory and practical training.

1961 to 1974: Training Programme for Certified Division II Midwifery In 1961, a colonial Nursing Sister, Margaret Malloy, initiated the first Division II midwifery training in Lau King Howe Hospital. The training took 3 years to complete with part 1 and part 2 curriculum modules.

1970 to 1974: Updated Training Programme for Certified Assistant Nurses In 1970, a formal training for Assistant Nurses was initiated for all the Assistant Nurses trained under apprenticeship system in Sarawak. The certified Nursing Programme took 2 years to complete.

1975 to 1987: Jururawat Masyarakat (JM)/Community Nurse Training Programme In 1975, The Jururawat Masyarakat training programme started in Kuching using the block system. The Jururawat Masyarakat programme was initiated because the Department felt that there was a need to have a multi-purpose nurses who can serve either in the hospital or the public health in the rural areas.




Copyright 2011 LAU KING HOWE HOSPITAL MEMORIAL MUSEUM ASSOCIATION, SIBU. All Rights Reserved.